NumPy is a Python library that adds support for huge, multidimensional arrays and matrices, and high-level mathematical functions that operate on these arrays. As Python is interpreted, NumPy in Python provides functionality similar to MATLAB, and they both allow users to construct fast programs as long as most operations are performed on arrays or matrices rather than scalars.
For efficient linear algebra computations, NumPy makes use of BLAS and LAPACK. This is beneficial for the simplification of programming workflow and debugging.
- Project: Numpy
- Author: Travis Oliphant
- Initial Release: as Numeric (1995), NumPy (2006)
- Type: Numerical Analysis
- License: BSD
- Contains: Numerical computing tools, random number generators, SciPy library
- Language: Python, C
- GitHub: numpy/numpy with 18.7k stars and 1218 contributors
- Runs On: Windows, MacOS, and Linux
- Twitter: /numpy_team
- Comprehensive mathematical functions, random number generators, linear algebra routines, Fourier transforms.
- Vectorization, indexing, and broadcasting concepts of array computing